Saturday, September 10, 2011

a view of my home from the "road" nestled in the rice fields

my baa (father) and hajur baa( grandfather) putting up corn to dry after we harvested some a few saturdays  ago

A view from the roof of my house. the room/second floor to the right is my room/princess palace. It has windows on three sides so I get to wake up the Himalayas.

Aamaa (mother) putting on my new sari for Tij, the women's festival where women fast for the health of their husbands. I fasted for most of the day until after puja when aamaa told me I looked faint and made me eat a banana... ahh well there goes my short carrier as a Hindu wife.

Tij!
back row: my sister Suraksha, my aamaa's little sister, my aamaa, me
front row: my little brother hamming it up, my little sister Sujata, and my cousin

my little brother saw me doing laundry and wanted to join in, so he washed his favorite "Ben 10" T-shirt for about a half hour. It was very cute.

We just spent the last week in Chitwan, the national park in the very south of Nepal. Riding elephants through the jungle was totally the highlight!!  

the whole crazy group plus one of our teachers, Sooja, in Chitwan. (my face is special birthday shout-out to Rachel)

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family!! And the countryside, whoa! And the group...well, they sure do know how to make faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to tell you that the Chitwan T-shirts have remained unchanged since I was there in 1994

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous family!! And you look radiant in that sari... I hope I can find one of those at Macy's. Hyuck hyuck, juuuust kidding. Seriously, this is such a wonderful experience, and I can't wait to read more!
    Missing my WLIIA buddy terribly!!

    Love,
    Zoë

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG LOVE IT!!! Haha thanks Em. If I could post a picture back I'd obviously do so ;) It looks gorgeous. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete